Saturday, August 20, 2011

Forced Motivation!

It was so much easier in my brain to just laced up my UA Running Shoes, grab a water bottle and head for the trails. I could run for hours and lose myself in it. I would use it as therapy to help reduce my stress level. It was so simple to me. But doing a pushup or a sit-ups to me sounds like so much work. I need to teach my brain again how much I enjoyed building my muscle strength, I'm sure the guy in the mirror would be happy.

Now, over the last few years I have seriously slacked off in my strength training. I peaked a few times, once in high school, after basic training and the summer of my 23rd birthday. Being 29, it seems, I need to get back into it. The trouble is that it so hard to make myself do anything, especially when you already have an injury. I'm asking myself, "Should I even be doing exercises?" "How hard can I go if I do?". I know I can't do any squats or lunges since I can't even stand to put weight on my right foot. I also don't have a membership to a health club. All I have is what's in my apartment; swiss ball, Irongym pull-up bar, resistance band, jump rope and a couple of yoga DVDs. I also have a fitness room in my apartment complex which has a sauna, indoor pool, jacuzzi, treadmills, bikes, rowing machine and a few weights.

So for now, I'm left some old classic workouts, because I can't do any aerobic workouts. Push-ups on swiss ball, pull-ups, sit-ups, resistance band curls, and resistance band flys, which I call Iron Crosses are what I'm going to start doing. I'm going to start keeping track of how many of each I do everyday. Hopefully by the time my foot heals up, I'll be a cut up as I can be. As for what I did today. I did a bunch of foot flexes to increase mobility, there are also some flat footed streches that you can do to help bring your foot to a 90 degree angle. For the day I did 65 push, 35 pull, 30 sit, 20 curls, and 15 flys.

My hope is that with recording these couple of exercises, it will make me compete with myself and try to do more each day. I would do that with running, for every run. I really started breaking it down, right after I purchased my heart rate watch. You want to go out there and run everyday just to try to get better, let's pray it does it again and tricks my brain into a little Forced Motivation!

1 comment: