Tuesday, June 2, 2015

First Race Checklist

Since a lot of you ask what I should be ready for, when running my first race. So, I decided to put together a list of items and my usual routine going into a race. Some of these things are common sense but if you are in a hurry this list might be handy as you are sprinting out the door.

Now all of this makes much more sense if give you a sense of what to get ready for as a first race approaches. As for me, it kind of is my first race all over again. Yes, I have run races before, and yes, I've been running a lot the last few months, but this again will be my first race after recovering from my left Achilles tear.

Thinking back to my recovery of my right Achilles, my first race back was the Naperville St. Patrick's Day Run of 2012. I was extra excited to run that day, showed up about a half an hour before the race and did some sprints to the registration tent to grab my packet. My heart rate never seemed to calm down. After I did some stretches and jogs, I felt slightly better.

Once I got to the line to start the race, my adrenaline spiked, and I took off once that gun fired. Wearing the goofy green top hat was making me extra warm since there wasn't anywhere for the heat to escape, I ended up having to carry it the last 1.5 miles of the race. Because I was too excited at start of race, I never got my watch set. Once I passed the second mile marker it said my time was 12:50, I knew my 2nd mile was 7 minutes, I realized my first mile was a sub 6 minute mile! Way too fast!

So now I keep thinking what could I have done differently to ensure that I wouldn't die the last mile like I did in the St. Paddy's Day race. Leading up to my first race this time, I will try to describe my pre-race routine and anything else that I may think of. As of now, here's my basic list of starter items that will help make your race a little easier:

The obvious:
Shoes, Socks
Shorts/Legging/Pants, underwear
T-shirt/jacket
Hat/gloves (when needed)

Not-so-obvious
Headphones attached to iPhone
Sunglasses
Heart rate Watch
Water Bottle

My next posting on this will focus on Pre-race food, I'll will look at foods to have before, during and after the race. Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment